Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What do you moms do with your kids every day? Any good toys or ideas that I can use? Growing up, I've never spent this much time at home except on summer vacation. I love being busy, but now that I'm done with school, and staying at home full time, life is more care-free. It's easy to turn on the TV. As so you can see, I'm sleep deprived and out of ideas to do with Aubrey. Help!

11 comments:

BionicKatie said...

Hey Janae-
There are different activity aubrey can do like read books, finger paint, puzzles,coloring, do a craft type of thing. you could even order signing time and get her vocablary up, you could have her have a quiet time so you can close your eyes or attend to zach. i hope that helps
Katie A.

Erin L said...

Aubrey is at one of my favorite ages. All of the ideas in the first comment are good. Going to the park is also fun. I used to love just turning on music and singing and dancing. (Ana already likes to do that.) She also can start getting into dress ups and "pretend play." She can help you make cookies or bread or anything like that. Encourage her to play by herself, too.

Eric R said...

play dough!! changing from 1 to 2 Kids sometimes is hard. emma had a hard time understanding that i just couldn't leave lily while nursing to help her. So i would tell her go play and when i'm done will play. that works well. go to the park lots cause soon it will be too cold to.

Candace said...

go to the park or library.

at home do play dough or coloring. change it up so it seems like it's new. give her crayons one day & colored pencils or washable markers the next day.

sadie always loves a little bowl of glue & a paintbrush. it's good for their motor skills. let her paint glue on paper & then stick feathers or other bits of paper on there.

we did bowling w/ toilet paper rolls one day.

there are lots of preschool websites w/ ideas. good luck.

Candace said...

oh....i forgot. the two things that sadie played w/ the most & still plays with are her kitchen toys....dishes & food & her mega blocks.

Keri said...

I left a comment in response to your question on Candace's blog.

MelancholySmile said...

Janae-
When Courtney was that age, I kept toys in different baskets and would rotate them so that they would seem "new". I do that with Ethan too, so that if I'm spending a lot of time downstairs, he has a box of trucks and trains (his favorite) locked in the entertainment center that I only let him play with at that time. Dividing the day into segments helped, too- I usually had Sesame Street in the morning while I tried to sleep a little, then breakfast, bath, play with toys in living room while I rested or showered, then nap, and outside time or art project, followed by a Blues Clues video while I made dinner (typical melt-down time for 2 yr olds!!). Hope that helps!

Just Ellen said...

Play dough is great - especially when you make your own! That way, no problem if it's eaten. :o)

I have found that empty boxes are fascinating. Sometimes I wonder why I even purchase toys!

Give her some pots and wooden spoons - anything she can be "musical" with. Course, that won't be a very good idea when you are trying to have quiet time...

Dye macaroni and glue it to paper, string shoelaces through boards, get finger puppets - or even make your own puppets with socks or brown paper lunch bags! That's fun.

Rotating toys to keep things interesting is always a good one! Read lots of books, play children's music. As you know, I watch others' children, in addition to my own - we had a rainy day so I played a rainy day CD. Our circle time pillows became "puddles" as we marched in a circle and leapt over them. It was so fun!

If you are stuck indoors, it's great to find ways to keep the body moving. Play hide and seek, dance around, do those fun "hand" songs (five speckled frogs, itsy bitsy spider, once there was a snowman, five little monkies, etc.)

There are tons of websites out there, to help you get those creative juices flowing! :o) I have found that having a plan helps keep the sanity around here. When there is no plan, seems like everyone gets cranky! You don't want that. Oh nooooo... LOL

Walling Family said...

At this age we did a lot of dress up and still do. Madison loves her kitchen and always have, you can pick up a tea set at walmart for a couple of dollars and have tea parties....another favorite! Let her brush your hair and put barretts in, good for coordination. Finger painting in the tub no paper needed! Lots of fun and it washes right off. Chalk! Just give her a paint brush and a thing of water and let her just paint the sidewalk and side of the building etc....even the car, it is just water! And of course like others have said make sure she learns to play by herself.

Eric R said...

janae- this is random, but i saw Elle bush on your blog stuff, she was my neighbor like 3 years ago. how do you guys know her?

Keri said...

Amanda, I know you were asking Janae, but both Janae & I were Elle's visiting teacher. We love her!