Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We got the effects of Hurricane Ike last Sunday. There was a huge 80mph windstorm that knocked the power out of 800,000 homes. We were without for 1 1/2 days, and many others were for longer. Some things I learned:

-Computers are NOT necessities.
-Turning on the lightswitch is a habit that's hard to break.
-It gets extremely dark at night without lights. And in the daytime in some of our rooms.
-Cleaning the bathroom with a flashlight is hard to do.
-Ovens, microwaves, refrigerators, disposals, dishwashers, and laundry machines are luxuries.
-Extremely melted ice cream does not taste that good.
-Our society is spoiled. I am spoiled.

I am praying for those who have evacuated/been harmed by the hurricanes and devastations lately. I only had 1 1/2 days of "pioneer life".

It was awfully funny to see how all the fast food restaurants were packed during the power outage. Good thing they've got generators.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that is the worst you see:) Thanks for the little reminder to be greatful for the everyday luxeries we enjoy.

MelancholySmile said...

Wow, what an experience. I'd love to hear more details on how you lived like a pioneer! How did the kids take it, and was it really hot? We'd be in serious trouble without AC for 2 days! Glad you're safe!

Kierst said...

Wow, you're a better woman than me. I'm sure I would NOT have cleaned my bathroom. I don't even do it enough WITH power. Which reminds me, my parents are coming. I better go clean my bathroom!

Keri said...

I'm glad you all fared okay. It would be intersesting to see what I would do without power for any real lenghth of time. I think my friend, Ollie, is still without power in Louisville.

Janae said...

Pioneer, shmear...well, it doesn't quite compare. But there was driving without stoplights (there were tons of accidents), gas pumps not working for the first day, chaos at the grocery stores, candles and flashlights, and using a propane stove to cook. And lots of playing. I realized that I am addicted to the computer and that it's been taking me away from family time. The kids had so much fun--we went to the park, on a walk, played outside. It was exhausting not having a break though. Even Aubrey likes her TV every once in a while. :)

The weather was humid but cool, so we were lucky. If it had been last week it would've been so muggy and hot. If it had been in the winter we might have had to stay in a hotel. Then again, who knows if the hotel would've had power? I didn't realize how much our world expects power every day to simply function. It was humbling.

Shaela said...

Thank heavens you are all okay! We lost power for 5 days in the dead of winter when I was a child, and all those things you mentioned are so true. Hope you don't have that again for awhile!

Jeremy and Sarah said...

One advantage to eating out during a disaster like that, you know your food is fresh and hasn't been sitting under heat lamps all day.

ollie said...

I totally disagree. Computers and TV's ARE necessities! I NEED them! I do!!! lol!!! You just weren't away from them long enough! ;-)