Freezing rain is a type of precipitation that begins as snow at higher altitude, falling from a cloud towards earth, melts completely on its way down while passing through a layer of air above freezing temperature, and then encounters a layer below freezing at lower level to become supercooled. This water will then freeze upon impact with any object it encounters.[1] The ice can accumulate to a thickness of several centimetres, called glaze ice.
So we get LAYERS of ice on our car windshield, and driving is insane. The moment the "rain" hits the windshield, it solidifies and sticks. I've never seen this in Idaho or Utah. Driving in it is SO scary.
Yet we braved the weather on Thursday. It took over an hour to go 15 miles to see John Adams conducting the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra. Completely worth it. It was phenomenal. On Friday, Doug had a masterclass with John Adams. He critiqued one of Doug's pieces. John Adams is THE American classical composer right now. Doug was thrilled to have this opportunity. Adams was very complimentary in Doug's piece, and gave meaningful comments. I only wish Doug could take composition lessons from John Adams. That would be SO cool.
What a busy week. We're so thankful our wonderful friends the Olsens babysat for us! I felt like I was in college again. Learning is so incredible, especially now that I've lost so many brain cells. Now, back to getting the kids on schedules, cleaning the house, cooking..the regular stuff that doesn't require much thinking.



5 comments:
glad you liked it! Those of us on stage loved working with Adams -- he's a mensch.
That's so great that Doug got to work with Adams! We played his Harmonielehre at CCM. I definitely remember that rain. I used to always say in Cincinnati, it's either raining, it just rained, or it's about to! Take care!
What a wonderful experience...Adams, not the freezing rain! Yeah, we never experience freezing rain out west. It sure seems scary!
That freezing rain is CRAZY. That picture is beautiful though...did you take that? You should frame that one if you did.
Kami
That is the kind of weather we would get all the time in KC. I can totally sympathize with the craziness of the ice storms! What a great experience working with Adams!
Post a Comment