Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You can always start over.

I've taken a well-needed blogging break, but am now back. I've been feeling a bit unsatisfied with myself. I was so overwhelmed with things to do that I quit my writing course...yet then I found myself wondering what would become my new "hobby". Extra time would roll around and I'd find myself feeling incomplete.

About two years ago, when we first moved here, I tried out for a local semi-pro orchestra. I felt very sheepish as I listened to others, most likely graduate students, practicing before the big audition. Here I was, with only a bachelor's degree, and two children at home. When I didn't get in, I wasn't suprised. I felt like it was time to put away the violin. So...I did. I decided my music life was "over".


This past weekend I was able to attend an LDS-church sponsored event called Time out for Women. Jenny Oaks Baker performed a piece I used to play as a teenager, Gabriel's Oboe from the movie The Mission. I used to whip out my violin and play something like that piece to cheer me up--and it always worked.

I knew, after last weekend, that I need the violin in my life. It's the hobby I've had since I was three years old.

I cut my long fingernails today and practiced. I felt a little rusty, but that's nothing time and practice can't fix. When I play the violin, I feel close to God--and it makes me complete.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I always wanted to play the violin, but never got the chance. I think it's a great talent that you have. Way to go on picking it up again!

t.t.turner said...

When you said you put away your violin for good, I honestly started tearing up - "No, Janae! Don't do it!" Music keeps us sane! I'm glad you're playing again! :)

Claireese said...

I'm so glad you aren't letting that go. You are so talented.

Halsey said...

Way to go! One of my favorite violin teachers told me she "quit" twice over the years while she was raising her children, to simplify her life and make her husband happy. Anyway, she said she tried and got fake nails and everything but in the end she just couldn't stay away. And so she made me promise never to quit. It really is good for us. Music DOES help us grow closer to God.

Tim, Niccole, and Neva said...

You have inspired me! Since I graduated I have hardly touched my violin. It has totally left part of me feeling empty! I think I will go and clip my quarter inch long nails now and pull out my long lost friend. Thanks for the motivation.

-Laura said...

I feel the same way about piano sometimes, though I didn't major in it

Em said...

Awesome. I'm SOOOO happy for you. I'm amazed by life as a young mom that in one sense you don't ever have any time to do anything for you--yet at the same time, if you have something on the back burner, just waiting for you to get to it, you can somehow find moments to work on it. I feel like the Lord sends little packages of a few minutes here and a few minutes there for me to do things that fill me.
I need to hear you play soon. :)
Love Em